Archive for December, 2006
Move over, Paris Hilton. You’re getting old, literally and figuratively. A whole new crop of beauties are prepared to storm the Hollywood scene in an attempt to become the next “it” girl. Here are some of our top contenders for 2007.
5. Kim Kardashian. The daughter of the late O.J. Simpson trial attorney, Robert Kardashian, made a splash on the Hollywood scene this year, hitting up hot spots with sometime BFF Paris Hilton (who thanked her in the liner notes of her album). She’s been linked romantically with Nick Lachey and Nick Cannon, and the 26-year-old with a booty to rival J.Lo’s promises to hang around in the spotlight through 2007.
4. Leona Lewis. The Londoner sang her way onto the radar on both sides of the pond as she sailed to victory on the U.K.’s X Factor. She won over the heart of American gossip blogger Perez Hilton, who ran YouTube clips of her on his website regularly. It is rumored that, after she took the X Factor crown, Whitney Houston herself called to congratulate her. This young woman promises to be a fixture on the American and British music scenes in the next year.
3. Ashley Tisdale. This 21-year-old was rocketed to fame with the surprise success of Disney’s High School Musical. She’s been spotted at a range of Hollywood parties, but has generally stayed out of the gossip pages. Look for that to change next year, as the release of her solo album in February and the summer release of High School Musical 2 raise her profile.
2. Katharine McPhee. Another product of a television talent competition, American Idol runner-up Kat McPhee graced the pages of far more magazines than its winner, gray-haired Taylor Hicks. The 22-year-old, who began the competition with a quiet, homely look, has transformed into a total sexpot, with a series of commanding photo shoots and personal interviews. Her eponymous debut album will be released in January of next year, and you can expect to see and hear much more of this young woman.
1. Hayden Panettiere. This 17-year-old stunner has been around on the soap scene for a while, but she made her mark this year on the mainstream as the cheerleader in need of saving on NBC’s hit Heroes. She’s dated Laguna Beach’s Stephen Colletti, and her debut album, produced by Britney Spears paramour J.R. Rotem, will be released in the spring of next year. She’s talented and she’s adorable, and, with any luck, it’ll turn out she has a drinking problem, too, because this girl is definitely one to watch in 2007.
This talented parrot has very little to do with celebrity gossip (well, there’s a small bit involving Mario Lopez, so maybe that counts), but it’s about the cutest/funniest/most talented damn parrot on the planet, so I wanted to share.
Nicole Richie and Lindsay Lohan are always griping about how they wish the paparazzi would leave them alone (Paris doesn’t usually bother to lie about it), all the while hitting up every L.A. shindig at which there’s even a remote chance there’ll be a camera. Julia Roberts, on the other hand, actually meant it: she married, had two babies and moved to a ranch in New Mexico, where, if she is getting rip-roaring drunk and not wearing underwear, she’s at least doing it inside. As a consequence, we don’t hear much from Ms. Roberts, who most recently voiced the titular spider of Charlotte’s Web, in the gossip world, and it’s always a treat when we do.
Page Six is reporting that Julia, 39, and husband Danny Moder, 37, are expecting a third child sometime next summer. They already have twins, Phinnaeus Walter and Hazel Patricia, to whom Julia gave birth in November 2004, after a difficult pregnancy with mandated bed rest. Hopefully this one will go smoother for Jules. Congratulations to the happy family!
Remember Danity Kane, the “Making the Band” Diddy creation that blew up the charts with “Showstopper” and has lingered around TRL since? Unless you are a teenage girl, or me, I really feel like you wouldn’t immediately remember Shannon from “Making the Band.” She was essentially pulled from “Fame” which was a short-lived NBC reality singing/dancing competition and injected into the “Making the Band” series by her manager Johnny Wright. She is a nice girl, virgin till marriage, you know the drill… it is quite amusing that she is in such a tarted up girl group. Take away the drag queen make-up and the Forever 21 hot pants and she really is that pretty blond girl next door. The pic above is from her visit to “Mamma Mia” on Broadway where she visited Raymond Lee, a ex-“Fame” participant and a current “Mamma Mia” cast member. I couldn’t resist posting another one of these “oh look I’m in a gossip magazine” photos.
I am at least morbidly fascinated with the whole Trump-Rosie thing, if only because this level of celeb animosity is almost never seen in the public eye. Trump struck again Thursday on a phone interview with AP. The highlights?
“Her show failed, her magazine failed. Barbara Walters gave her new life, but she’ll fail at that also because she’s inherently a stone-cold loser.”
And, with regards to the feud:
“It will never end on my behalf because I’ve exposed Rosie for what she is: a very dumb human being,” Trump told the AP. “She’s got no intelligence, but I’ve known that for a long time. Unfortunately, Rosie’s pulled the wool over the public.”
A very dumb human being? Well then. I would say Trump is a little off on this, it’s hard to call Rosie dumb compared to the average person. But really, they are both weird cats for not just going along their merry wealthy way.
Ideally this will escalate to flaming bags of poop left on doorsteps in the New Year.
Mike Tyson used to have a viable skill, boxing. Okay, sure, that’s not finding the cure for Polio but you’d have to admit it’s better than say being blonde and producing a silly album (we’ll always have Paris). Anyway, it’s been two decades since he’s done anything even remotely tangible, and since then we’ve had a flood of “Hey, this Tyson guy is nuts” stories. How about another one?
Tyson was placed under arrest after “showing more signs of impairment” during the field sobriety tests. Police then found cocaine on him and in his car, Hall said. The boxer was alone in the car.
The story ends with:
Arpaio said the Tyson had been to the Maricopa County jail before, but as a guest talking to juvenile offenders about the dangers of drugs and alcohol. “The irony is he did a great job with these kids — stay away from drugs, don’t drink, stay out of trouble,” the sheriff said.
I’m not sure that’s irony. Crazy people don’t really conform to the standards of the norm, thus the “crazy” term. He once bit a guy’s ear off. He’s done time in the joint for rape. I don’t think he’s capable of being ironic anymore.
The good news is EvilBeet gets a mug shot to start her New Year off right.
Memo to Pam Anderson: asking Heidi Fleiss to be your matchmaker is like — well — asking Kid Rock to be your husband. [A Socialite’s Life]
Fantasia is looking a little hot and bothered. [IBBB]
If you are currently running a major Britney-focused fansite, and you’d like to expand your Internet empire to cover the whole celeb gossip kingdom, now would really be the perfect time to shut down your Britney site, blame it on Britney’s loss of “identity and credibility,” and let gossip bloggers worldwide write about it, creating priceless hype for the project you hope to launch in the new year. Oh, someone already thought to do that? Damn. [The Blemish, World of Britney]
70% of Victoria Beckham’s weight is nipples. That’s nearly 35 pounds of nipples! [Agent Bedhead]
You know how, sometimes, you can be, like, a 100% heterosexual woman, and yet there are totally a handful of chicks you would probably have sex with? Yeah. Dita Von Teese. [Celebrity Smack]
Hey, Meg Ryan, your breasts are kind of like your career: they’re not just going to hold themselves up forever. [Cele|bitchy]
Bitch got her amateur strip on at Scores the other night. Via Page Six:
LINDSAY Lohan got down and dirty at Scores West for three hours early yesterday – jumping onstage to do a wild bump-and-grind, then ushering topless dancers into the bathroom to apologize for recently calling them all “whores.”
“I love strippers,” the 20-year-old actress gushed as she entered the famed mammary mecca at 12:30 a.m., and launched into a half-hour deejay shift during the club’s “Turntable Tuesdays.”
Next, “She got up on the stripper pole and began to dance with the Scores Girls with 400 customers cheering her on,” said our source. “Then, she joined her entourage of 15 in the VIP area, and got lap dances from many of the girls, including a special double-dance from two strippers at once.
“It was hot. But while everybody was drinking, Lindsay was not. It was strictly Perrier for her.”
Sober and stripping, which is probably more than you can say for most of the ladies who were working that night. She’s a natural.
“I’m here to announce I’m a candidate for president of the United States,” he said this morning on The Today Show. “I’ve reached my own conclusion this is the best way to serve my country.”
The Democratic senator was John Kerry’s running mate during his unsuccessful bid for the presidency in 2004.
We’re still waiting to hear formally from Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton.